Garden Rows

Thursday, September 22

Nostalgic Apples

One of the things I wanted to do on my birthday was go to Musgrave Orchards.  My Husband and I took it easy that day with out any real plan.  As the beautiful afternoon grew old we decided that we would save the orchard visit for the next day.  It turned out to be a good thing we waited until Wednesday because they are open Wednesday thru Sunday and we would have been sad to find it closed on Tuesday afternoon.


In a few weeks this porch will be loaded with pumpkins and hay bails and scarecrows and all those festive things that make us think of fall in Indiana.  I can vaguely remember making a trip or two to this sweet little  place when I was pretty little.  It might be more the feeling I get being there than any actual memories of a specific event.  Ah nostalgia!

When we walked in I was surprised to see only 2 big baskets of apples.  There was also a small selection of veggies.  The apples were Golden Delicious (well known by most due to over saturation of the market by two famous apples: Red and Golden Delicious) and Redfree.  I have never heard of Redfree.  Among the suggested uses on the sign was apple sauce.  The main reason I went.


I made apple sauce last fall and loved it!  I got a 1/2 peck of the Redfree for just over $5.  What a deal.  Local apples grown by local people!

Aren't they beautiful?
I thought since I was there and the sweet potatoes looked so nice that we might as well get a few for baked sweet potato goodness.


They are about a 1/3 the size of the monsters in the grocery store.  I kind of wonder how normal those giants are...

Feeling the festive autumn season we also got a few bundles of cute little multi-colored corn.  The ears are about 4 inches long.

Our lovely little bounty

This is only the beginning of my Musgrave Orchards season.  I will be back.  I love supporting a local farm.  Oh! We can't forget the cider!!!  We got a 1/2 gallon.  It is great cold, hot, hot and spiced, or with a splash of whiskey.  I suggest you check them out or re-discover them, whatever the case may be.  (no, I have not been paid to say these things :~} )

Random extra apple tidbits:

Here is an apple description website that seems handy-dandy.  

Last week I randomly watched a documentary about apple orchards in Washington state called Broken Limbs.  Informative and inspiring. 

Enjoy the height of Autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment