Garden Rows

Sunday, September 4

Ice Cream (part 1)

I am a big fan of ice cream.  Not sure I have mentioned that yet.  I found a fun blog called Scoop Adventures.  It is very pretty, and the recipes are really good.  I have made a half dozen or so and have modified a few others to fit the ingredients I had that day.  How does ice cream connect to a garden you might wonder, flavors of course!  The Scoop Adventures author is in the south where some kind of produce is in season most of the year, and people have papaya, fig or lime trees in their yards.  Yes I am a bit jealous of that.  Someday I will have a brown turkey fig that produces fruit in central IN, I promise.


Back to ice cream and gardens.  My friend Alex and I went to the Farmers Market on a mission to get a watermelon.  We got a nice medium sized red seedless from a vendor that has had amazing watermelons this summer.  The next day we made Watermelon Lemonade Sorbet.  I knew it would be good, but tasting it once it was done was better than I had hoped!


We decided we better double the recipe (you know, so there would be enough for both of us,) but there was not quite enough lemon juice.  We decided it would be a good idea to make sure there was plenty of lemon zest to make up the difference.  We did not measure, I just eyeballed it.  I really have no idea how much zest there was in the end, but there was certainly enough, in a good way!


This is what was in the pan above: lemon juice and zest, sugar and corn syrup.  So simple.


I made sure nothing went to waste, the lemon remains went into a pitcher of tea as a refreshing ice cream morning beverage.


And the rind, well, Izzi likes watermelon, too.  (This is actually from an orange watermelon that I ate and did not use in the sorbet.)


A few hours later there was some amazing sorbet being removed from the ice cream maker.


For the recipe, visit Scoop Adventures Watermelon Lemonade Sorbet.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment