Garden Rows

Monday, August 1

Pretty in Pesto

I finally had enough basil to harvest some with out taking too much of the plant.  Actually, I had way more than I realized, I made a double batch of pesto!


I do not have a favorite pesto recipe, so I used the one in the booklet that came with my food processor.  (see bottom of the post)  Since it is a Food Network brand I thought surely it would be half way decent!  I like lots of garlic, so I may have used more than necessary...even for a double batch.


mmm fresh basil.


I lightly toasted the walnuts to help with depth of flavor.


I toasted some Tomato Basil bread from the Bread Basket to dip in lightly herbed olive oil with the (dried) thyme, oregano and baisil from my garden.


Presto! Dinner is ready!  Tomatoes and peppers in the salad from a friends garden.  It all tasted so good!


Pesto 
2 cups fresh basil leaves, washed
2 cloves garlic peeled
1/4 cup pine nuts (I used walnuts)
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1/2 tea spoon kosher salt (or more to taste)
freshly ground black pepper
1 pound small-tube or spiral pasta

Pulse basil leaves, garlic and nuts in food processor gradually add oil.  Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl and stir in cheese.

1 comment: