Garden Rows

Monday, February 27

Spring is Around the Corner

Spring is not in the air just yet, but it is certainly around the corner!  It has been an incredibly mild winter so far.  The Spring Equinox is a few weeks away, but March could still be keeping a secret!  Here in Central Indiana, we have had some crazy winter storms in March.


I have been resisting the urge to prune some of my plants.  When it is suggested to prune Hibiscus and Poinsettia in late Winter to early Spring January is just too early!  Be patient.

I noticed that the Hibiscus was putting out lots of new growth.  Tiny hints of pale green all over.  If I was going to prune it, it needed to happen before the plant put all it's energy into new growth all to be chopped away.

Here is what I did the first time.

It wasn't enough, so I went at it again.  Eek!
The problem is that I actually need to get in there a bit deeper, but my office scissors just don't have the pruning power as a good pair of . . . well, pruners.


There is tons of new growth since I trimmed it up about a week ago.  Hopefully it will be covered in blooms this summer.  I will have to do a better job about keeping it fed to encourage flowering.


There is more pruning to come in the next few weeks! Plants are waking up from the winter hibernation, in fact, there are tulips and daffodils poking up all over the neighborhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment