Garden Rows

Tuesday, September 13

A Sip of Nectar

I was out on the back porch with a glass of tea (with watermelon ice) poking around on the camera when I heard a familiar little chirp.  I slowly looked up only to miss the tiny hummingbird flitting away.  When she came back for another sip of nectar I was ready!


It was a bit breezy making the flower sway about, so she had to take a little rest.


It is difficult to get a good picture.  These little guys are on to the next thing before you can hardly catch up to the first!  She was trying to perch on the blossom, but the breeze was a bit much.


I know there are two that visit sometimes.  I have tried to figure out how to make a hummingbird feeder because I have been too cheap to spend $16 on one in the store.  Kohl's sent me a $10 gift card for my birthday, maybe I will see what they have.  If I get one out soon I can help the tiny things fatten up for their trip South in the next few weeks.

Doesn't the Hibiscus just look appetizing?


Speaking of tiny things, have you ever noticed how sweet and dainty catnip flowers are?


On a completely unrelated note: my banana peppers have started turning purple on the bottom.  Like they were dipped in purple powder.  Remember the purple jalapeno?  That guy turned green again before I picked it.  Apparently it was too close to the sweet red pepper and cross-pollinated.  It was the sweetest jalapeno I have ever had!  I will see what happens with the banana peppers, though I do not think it is a cross-pollination issue here because the closest sweet red pepper plant is about 10 feet away.  Then again, the bees do get around.


I noticed the same thing is happening at the joints of this plant also.  It is kinda cool looking what ever the cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment